Have you ever felt totally uninspired and in a creative rut all of a sudden? Do you sometimes feel super meh about your work?
When these feelings pop up it’s often because you’re stressed or burnt out – and more often than not you don’t even realize it! As they say… Stress is the silent killer!
So maybe you’re:
– Working your butt off but don’t feel valued.
– Saying yes too many times to too many people.
– Making too many compromises in relation to your work.
Creative passion comes in ebbs and flows, and sometimes it can feel like it’s disappeared completely – never to return! Rest assured this is not the case AT ALL, and even the best artists have at one point in their lives felt this way – all creative people have.
So what can you do when you get hit with a wave of no ideas?
1. Know your priorities and focus on your goals.
2. Ask yourself if what you’re working on is a part of your larger goal.
3. Look at the way you work. Your workflow, your client contacts, your current style and your pricing structure. Make a list of the things that make your stomach ache with perturbation. Listen to your gut, and make those difficult decisions to help you right now, and down the track.
4. Taking a break is neurologically proven to help spark creativity.
5. Do activities that you know will boost your energy and your mood.
6. And lastly be gentle with yourself, know that you have a choice. Remember that you can always do much more than you think you can. A little bit of self-awareness goes a long way!